Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Last Time...

It is always fun to look forward to first times, first day of school, loosing your first tooth, first time riding a bike, first dates, first dances, first kisses, first children. We enjoy these firsts and often their consecutive seconds and thirds. It is harder, however, to anticipate and appreciate lasts. The last time I changed Addi's diaper was probably the millionth time I'd changed her diaper. I was ready to be DONE but even then I didn't know THAT time was the LAST time. If I did maybe I would have enjoyed it more, appreciated it more, I might have even been sad that that little bond between us would be gone. Lasts are often realized only after they're gone...maybe it's more merciful that way.


On September 12, 2009 another last, slipped away. It was the day I left No. 11091 for the last time. I wish I would have known. I probably would have walked around just...remembering...and saying good bye. I would try to remember:



trick-or-treating and passing out candy from the foundation of our un-built house



eating Burger King whoppers on the kitchen floor when it was just plywood while Dad put up shelves in the closets.



making star trek movies in the basement



lining up in the bathroom mirror downstairs making jokes, flexing (the boys obviously), and being reminded to "be quiet! the baby is asleep!"



gathering piles and piles of rocks in the yard before we put all the sod down



remembering Ryan's face when after hollering "FART's ALARM" when we thought Dad was coming, then turning around to run right smack into him.



reading The Great Brain out loud to Ryan and Ash on the water bed down stairs



the times we spent on our knees cleaning the kitchen floor--and just cleaning in general



making up funny songs while we worked



laughing-- especially in the kitchen late at night with whatever nieghbor, friend or exchange student happened to be there



the picture doors


cookie cook-off



the bed upstairs that gave friends and every other Tom, Dick and convict a place to sleep for the night



the many parties/showers/BBQ's/receptions in the kitchen and back yard



this is the where we brought Amy, Jacob, Bridger and Addi when they came home from the hospital



11091 is where we all came to eat, shower, sleep, get ready, play, work...live.

2 comments:

RYAN said...

loved it ang. Thanks for remembering some things i had forgotten

Logan and Carly said...

wow... that's so weird that there are no kleinmans there anymore. I never thought you'd move. memories for me just flashed back from that house too.